Friday, October 22, 2021

Megaton Man Rejects from Savage Dragon Team-Up!

 This are four pages I created on oversized Marvel bleed Bristol (13.5" x 21") for The Savage Dragon vs. the Savage Megaton Man #1 (Image Comics, 1993) but were rejected by Erik Larsen. I was going for a more simplified, Kirby-esque style at the time (evident later in my self-published Bizarre Heroes, made possible by the generous proceeds from this and Splitting Image). Erik wanted the more elaborate Neal Adams-ish inking style of the early issues of Megaton Man, so I took another shot at it. Some panels included Erik's headshots of the dragon, but one splash was left unfinished (apparently, that's when Erik decided he couldn't live the approach I'd taken). The lettering and script in this case is entirely by me.

This page features Erik's Dragon in panel three. The spoof of John Byrne's Next Men would also be drawn by Erik in the final version.

In the final version, I included the Phantom Jungle Girl and Rubber Brother to round out the reconstituted Megatropolis Quartet.

The spoof of John Byrne's Next Men were drawn by Erik in the final version.

Erik began penciling his Dragon figure when he decided he wanted my older, more intricate drawing style, and asked me to take it from the top.

The final page has been sold, but if you are interested in owning any of the other three, please contact me at donaldsimpson1713 (at) gmail (dot) com. I only have a couple other pages from the final version for sale as well (and none of the Splitting Image left). Thanks for your support!

The Savage Dragon ™ and © Erik Larsen; Megaton Man is ™ and © Don Simpson 2021, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment