Friday, March 10, 2017

Commission Artwork Price List, Spring-Summer 2017

Update: I am particularly grateful for the commissions and freelance assignments I have received since the spring of 2014, when more than a decade of college finally came to an end (I now consider myself a "recovering academic")! Thanks again for your support, and help me pay back my student loans!! -- Dr. Donald E. Simpson, PhD

Don Simpson Commission Art Price List, Spring-Summer 2017

Email me what you have in mind and budget: donaldsimpson1713 - at - gmail - dot - com.

Collector commissions are so unique and personal that any price list attempting to be comprehensive quickly becomes impossibly unwieldy. Recently, it has taken in the neighborhood of $200-$500 to motivate me to drop what I'm doing and get myself to the U.S. Post Office in a reasonably timely manner (!); the deal we strike will depend heavily on factors such as complexity, number of characters, background, medium (pencil, ink, watercolor, color pencil), subject matter, etc., and good old-fashion availability and schedule. Thanks for your patience!

A number of convention sketches dating back to the 1980s and other examples of my work, including original art pages, can be found all over the internet as well as my other blogs. Some of the better examples can be found on the Comic Art Fans website and on my Donald Simpson Facebook page.

I don't have separate pricing for "head shots" or "torso up," as do some other artists. I don't use markers or anything impermanent or will fade or discolor over time; only the finest archival materials!

What follows is only the most basic ballpark of price lists:

My characters/creations (including Megaton Man, Bizarre Heroes, Border Worlds, "In Pictopia," etc.)

Basic 11" x 14" Strathmore 400 Drawing or Bristol, pen/brush and India ink: $200 on up.

Display 14" x 17" or 12" x 18" Strathmore 400 drawing or Bristol, pen/brush and India ink: $500 on up.

Color pencil on Strathmore Toned Grey, 9" x 12": $200 on up.

Other mediums may be available; please inquire.

Particularly complex or detailed characters such as Megaton Man, Yarn Man, and Jenny Woodlore in her textured spacesuit are more.

Number of characters, backgrounds, color, etc. will influence pricing.

Postage: add $20 to cover packaging and shipping via USPS First Class in the US. (Other shipping instructions extra.)

"Special Requests" (and what isn't?!):

Popular characters that are not mine (straight or parody): Since I am drastically limited in the ways that I can publicize and exploit images of characters that are not my own creation (and not under my trademark or copyright), I generally charge 50% more on up.

Frontal Nudity/Explicit Erotica: Ordinarily, I will not draw my mainstream characters (Megaton Man, Bizarre Heroes), or other popular characters that are not mine, completely nude or in degrading situations. Please inquire if you have any questions.

Border Worlds, a "Mature Readers"/"Adult" title, is a different matter; many requests are subject to to ordinary pricing, but commissions involving nudity begin at 150% of the above prices, and may be turned down for any reason. Please inquire.

Commissions for Anton Drek characters (Wendy Whitebread, Forbidden Frankenstein, et al, signed by my pseudonym "Anton Drek") involving nudity or graphically explicit situations begin at 150% (mild nudity) to 200% (graphically explicit), on up. Please inquire.

Please note: I reserve the right to turn down any request I find objectionable for any reason.

Payment: check is preferred (mailing instructions will be provided); Paypal fees must add 2.9% + .30 (30 cents) per transaction. Please don't try to scam Paypal by claiming you are "family!"

The Paypal Fee Calculator is a handy online tool for estimating prices.

This list does not cover everything by a long shot, so you'll just have to contact me!

Go for it: Describe your commission request to me at donaldsimpson1713 - at - gmail - dot - com and please be as detailed as you can. I will respond as promptly as possible. Thanks!

Update 2017: Some recent convention sketches and commissions have been colored pencil on grey or tan paper:





More traditional pen and ink commissions are below:

Pen and ink, private commission for Brian Cremins, presented to Harlan Ellison in 2015. Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr., and Mary Marvel are ™ and © DC.

Pen and ink, private commission for James Hall, 2015. Dracula's Daughter is ™ and © Don Simpson, all rights reserved. Mr. Monster is ™ and © Michael T. Gilbert, all rights reserved.

Pen and ink, private commission for Flavio Pessanha, 2015. In Pictopia is ™ and © Alan Moore and Donald Simpson, all rights reserved.
 Blank cover variants (you supply):

A recent commission for a blank cover variant! (Scroll down to the bottom of this post for more recent commissions.)
Characters created by Don Simpson are ™ and © Don Simpson, all rights reserved; the artist exclusively retains all rights to reproduce commissioned artwork in any medium whatsoever without limitation. Ownership of physical artwork by collectors does not include any right to reproduce or exploit such copyrighted images without express written permission of the artist.

All other characters are ™ and © their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment